Gail is currently engaged in various roles globally as well as in Australia, including as a:
- Senior Global Adviser to UBS
- Director of Singapore Telecommunications
- Member of the Group of Thirty
- Member of the Bretton Woods Committee
- Member of the McKinsey Advisory Council
- Member of the PLuS Alliance Advisory Board
- Chair of the Optus Advisory Committee
- Director of Australian Philanthropic Services
- Member of the Territory Economic Reconstruction Commission
- Adjunct Professor at the University of New South Wales
- Patron of the Alliance of Girls’ Schools Australasia
- Ambassador for Women’s Empowerment for CARE Australia
She has previously been a founding member of The Global Board of Advisors at the US Council on Foreign Relations, Vice President of the International Monetary Conference, Chairman of the Australian Bankers’ Association as well as a Member of the Australian Prime Minister’s Indigenous Advisory Council. In addition, she has served as a Director of Woolworths Holdings in South Africa, Country Road Group, David Jones and the Business Council of Australia.
Gail is the author of Live Lead Learn: My Stories of Life and Leadership which was published in July 2017 in Australia and New Zealand by Penguin Random House and in November 2017 in South Africa by Pan Macmillan. In the same year she established ‘The Gail Kelly Global Leaders Scholarship’ between the University of New South Wales and the University of Cape Town.
Gail holds a Bachelor of Arts degree and Higher Diploma of Education from Cape Town University, a Masters of Business Administration (with Distinction) from the University of the Witwatersrand, and she has also completed the INSEAD Advanced Management Program in Fontainebleau.
Gail has been awarded an Honorary Doctorate of Business by the University of New South Wales, Macquarie University and Charles Sturt University. She has also been conferred an Honorary Doctorate of Science in Economics by the University of Sydney.